The U.S. House of Representatives tacked cannabis banking reform onto a must pass defense appropriations bill, with some observers suggesting it has a chance of passing. The U.S. Senate now takes up the bill.
- Legalization supporter Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-Colo.) explained to Marijuana Moment how he thinks it could pass: “I think the fifth time is the charm,” he said.
- The bill has strong support from the American Bankers Association.
- Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-S.D.), who opposes REC legalization but sponsored a banking reform bill, is open to the defense bill as the “vehicle.” (Perhaps not coincidentally, Cramer receives more campaign contributions from securities and investment than from any other industry.)
- The bill could face resistance from Senate Democrats who have called for comprehensive reform that includes equity provisions.
- This summer, Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), who worked on the bill with Schumer said “I will lay myself down to do everything I can to stop an easy banking bill that’s going to allow all these corporations to make a lot more money off of this, as opposed to focusing on the restorative justice aspects.”
- I previously wrote about tensions between incremental and comprehensive reform.
What happened in Vegas
Marijuana wasn't part of my life seven years ago when Fast Company magazine sent me to MJBiz Con. The story of this outlaw industry going corporate so enthralled me that I moved to Denver and started writing this newsletter. So,...
Trulieve CEO Rivers: “Southeast is the new frontier”
Following its $2.1B acquisition of Harvest, Florida-based Trulieve is the world's largest and most profitable PotCo. Green Market Report executive editor Debra Borchardt interviewed CEO Kim Rivers at the Benzinga Cannabis Capital Conference.Rivers has said the Florida-based company is pursuing...
Canopy/Wana tie-up caps week of big deals
Canopy Growth, one of Canada's largest operators, agreed to acquire Colorado-based edibles maker Wana Brands for 297.5M once U.S. federal law makes it permissible.Wana is the top U.S. edibles brand by market share. It also has a substantial portion of...