A lawyer connected to dispensaries in West Los Angeles and North Hollywood was shot at dawn during a home robbery in Laguna Beach on Tuesday. LAPD says Barret Slome, 46, may have been targeted because suspects thought the home harbored cash and drugs.
CBS Los Angeles
- A 911 call reporting breaking glass and gunfire brought Laguna Beach police to a condominium on PCH. Detectives reportedly have access to camera footage.
- Law enforcement reports that Slome survived a shooting—still unsolved—three years ago in Beverly Glen.
- Taken along with the spike in dispensary robberies and May's murder of Santa Cruz exec Tushar Atre, the Slome killing reinforces the growing sense that the cash-rich industry has a target on its back.
- Arvin is the closest city to Bakersfield with a legal dispensary. That Arvin’s 420 Kingdom has struck gold by offering delivery service into our biggest municipality without legal weed is the least surprising news we’ve published this year.
- "We can switch to edibles, we can only share with quarantine partners, we can put condoms on our joints. What we can’t do is expect puff puff pass culture to return to pre-COVID days."
- The Security and Exchange Commission has named six individuals in a scam to bilk 400 American investors out of $25M. The complaint says investors were promised 100% annual profits from a growth and extraction facility in Salinas.