August 30 2021,
THE BIG IDEA
As the harvest approaches, spare a thought for the Emerald Triangle’s legendary growers, who are facing a wholesale price crash on top of the industry’s usual perils.
Look out below for:
- NorCal growers in crisis
- Gummies are now almost good for you
- A potentially potent new legal weapon for the industry
Oh, and if you’re eligible to vote, don’t forget about California’s recall election.
Reach the most influential audience in cannabis by advertising with the self-serve WeedWeek store.
Want to learn more about email blasts, sponsored content and other promotional opportunities? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
WeedWeek regularly links to paywalled content.
A gummy a day...
Two cannabiz lawsuits allege public corruption
- A federal judge threw out an appeal that the DEA reschedule cannabis.
- Ohio’s 2022 REC ballot initiative has been cleared to collect signatures.
News 5 Cleveland
- Massachusetts retailer Theory Wellness agreed to pay $300,000 in fines after the state determined almost 300 of its employees were owed additional pay.
- Headset found five brands building market share in California.
- Leafly discusses the costs of running an all-cash business.
- California wants to be the first state to pay addicts to stay off opioids. (The military has a similar program.)
- Brand Cannaray is launching the U.K.’s first CBD television ad.
- France’s MED pilot program is set to begin.
- South Africa released plans for a $1.9B cannabis industry.
- A study found specific visual “eye characteristics” could potentially be a way to detect the presence of THC and impairment.
- An app claims to help with bad psychedelic trips.
- Kate Miller, CEO of chic brand Miss Grass, talked to The Cut.
- Thousands of activists submitted comments to the U.S. FDA opposing international restrictions on Kratom.
- MG Retailer is collecting nominations for “America’s Top Cannabis Employers.” until September 9.
- Essence profiles Caroline Phillips who produced this weekend’s National Cannabis Festival in D.C.
- Cookies continued its rapid expansion, opening its first east coast store in Worcester, Mass. and announcing it would build a new Florida headquarters near Orlando.
- MSO Trulieve opened its 100th store. (Cartoonist Brian Box Brown still isn’t a fan.)
- Canadian retailer Fire & Flower said it would acquire content site PotGuide for $8.5M.
- SOL Global arrived in Michigan with a $20M investment in Common C Holdings.
- TILT Holdings announced a partnership with the Shinnecock Indian Nation on New York’s Long Island.
- Yelp of weed Weedmaps announced a PoS integration with FlowHub that it says will streamline order fulfillment.
- Canadian operator HEXO named seasoned executive Guillaume Jouët its Chief People and Culture Officer.
- Communications firm KCSA named former 4Front president Kris Krane as director of cannabis development.
- Hill Street Beverage Company named CPG veteran Bowen Hou director, beverage strategy and development. The company also said June Nicholson has resigned as COO. (The companies tech powers a CBD substitute for smokeless tobacco.)
- MSO Acreage named Bryan Murray, a former Pfizer lobbyist, EVP, government relations.
- Cannabis Facilities Construction hired 4Front director of facilities Robert Spence as production manager.
- Investor Codie A. Sanchez compares the cannabiz to the Internet bubble.
- Consultant and writer Layle McFatridge can’t believe the weed prices in Vegas.
- The @420portraitsproject features “stories of struggle, survival and success from people targeted by the War on Weed.”
- Trichome Institute president Max Montrose introduced the freakshow variety of cannabis. (Mind, blown.)
- @cannabis.connoisseur.007 posted 30 banned dabber hashtags.
- @higher_etiquette explains what to do when a smoker has a coughing fit.
WeedWeek High Society -- 8/31/21
Do your part to make High Society possible: Get vaccinated.
Send pictures for High Society to hello@weed
Pics should be between 600 and 1000 pixels long and wide. Each should include the name and affiliation (if relevant) of everyone pictured as well as the event’s name, date and location. Ideally submit several pics so we can pick our favorites.