- The company which offers a suite of data and compliance software for cannabis companies, has begun offering similar services to mainstream brands.
- CEO Chad Bronstein said Fyllo also provides data on the cannabis industry to companies in the liquor, retail and CPG spaces. He calls it "the Salesforce of highly regulated industries."
- JW Asset Management and Sol Global led the round with a total of 60% coming from non-cannabis investors, mostly family offices.
- Read a previous WeedWeek story about Fyllo.
April 6 2021,
California companies and their allies are contemplating a statewide ballot initiative to make the world's largest cannabis market more business friendly. Since REC went on sale in January 2018, the industry has had to deal with high taxes, complex regulations and other hurdles which executives say have held back the legal market and empowered unlicensed operators.
- Veterans group Weed for Warriors has been circulating a draft ballot initiative to companies, unions, politicians and others.
- The proposal would remove local control of licensing to make legal product available far more widely, eliminate cultivation taxes, lower the excise tax and other measures.
- Weed for Warriors executive director Sean Kiernan says the ballot could target 2022 -- a mid-term election when passage would be a heavier lift -- or 2024.
- He estimates the signature gathering would cost $8M and a winning campaign would require an additional $20M - $30M.
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said the Senate would advance a REC bill with or without President Biden's support. Vice President Harris said the president is too busy to focus on cannabis.
Politico, Marijuana Moment
- A new group called the Cannabis Freedom Alliance has support from right wing billionaire Charles Koch.
- Libertarian writer Jacob Sullum compiles six lessons policy makers have learned from the first states to legalize.
- Some Florida lawmakers are hopeful that a REC bill could pass this year. Another pending bill would impose potency caps on the state's booming MED market.
- New York farmers want to plant now.
New York Upstate
- After a strong Q4, debt is becoming a more attracting fundraising option for U.S. operators.
New Cannabis Ventures
- Motley Fool found the four best performing pot stocks in Q1.
- Canna Law Blog discusses what you need to know when buying a cannabis business.
- Here are the top seven cannabis marketing challenges, according to Cannabis Business Executive.
- These are the judges for the 2021 Emerald Cup. The awards will be on April 11.
- Colorado is auctioning off 14 cannabis themed license plates. As of this writing, ISIT420 had attracted a bid of $6440.