The House Cannabis Caucus presented the first-ever cannabis industry forum within the capitol complex.
Top of the agenda was the SAFE Banking Act, which supporters hope to pass with a three pronged strategy:
- Find more GOP support in the House, which Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-Colo.) thinks will help in the Senate.
- Appeal to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). (McConnell opposes legalization but might be sympathetic because of the hemp industry's banking problems.)
- Win support for hearings from the financial industry.
Optimists hope to see it passed by December 2020.
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) appeared to convince Housing and Urban Development Secretary Dr. Ben Carson that stringent rules for evicting drug users from federally-subsidized housing should be changed.
- The Veterans Cannabis Project partnered with Harley Davidson of Washington D.C. to support this weekend's Rolling Thunder rally.
Stars and Stripes
- To keep cannabis businesses in the city, Oakland may lower its 10% tax on gross receipts, among the highest in California.
East Bay Times